And Suddenly…it’s May!

(Let me preempt your regularly-scheduled blog post by saying that there might be something wrong with the e-mail function when I reply to comments — I’ve heard from several people that you get your e-mail bounced back when you try to respond. Justin had fixed it so that when I respond to comments on the site, an e-mail was automatically sent to the commentor — but it seems that there is a flaw to the system. Don’t think I’m rude if I didn’t reply to your e-mail — I probably didn’t get it! We’re trying to fix it, though.)

Dudes, it was 88 degrees today! I think it’s safe to finally put up the last of the long-sleeved shirts and hoodies that I’ve been keeping around just in case (oh boy, now I’ve jinxed us all). I spent all day Sunday cleaning out the back yard — mowing, raking the leaves that had huddled in the corners against the fence, and hosing down the kids climbers. We borrowed a pressure sprayer from Justin’s parents and within thirty minutes we HAD BROKEN IT. It’s a nice, fancy one, too. It’s just like when I was twelve and borrowed my little brother’s baseball glove and lost it. I haven’t gotten any better since I was twelve. We have to take it in and get the cord fixed and then I’m going to (carefully) finish pressure-washing everything I own. It is REALLY ADDICTIVE. If you are a person who likes to clean, get yourself a power washer. But skip the step where you break it.

I’m just going to dive on in here and start telling you what I’ve found lately, because it’s been a while since I’ve updated. The weekend before last was…eh…okay. The last yard sale of the day was clearly the one I should have started with and I found myself wishing, once again, that I had the strange kind of radar that my friends like Barb and Shara have, where they somehow end up at the best yard sales first or, in Shara’s case, just end up at the best yard sales no matter what. I do not have that radar. I think I did in Chicago. Maybe I will at some point here.

I got this cute little milk crate-type-thingy that fits the bottles I bought from Laurie at her last sale perfectly. I texted to see if she had anymore so I could fill the whole thing but she had already sold them all (she had a couple of boxes worth — why didn’t I buy more?).

I know I got a few other things before I hit the great yard sale but apparently I didn’t take pictures of them. The great yard sale was being held by a daughter of a couple who had been antique dealers their entire life. They had made three big moves — from one state to another — over the course of their lifetimes and every time they moved, they moved two or three storage units with them, even though they weren’t in the business anymore. So the daughter decided enough was enough and she said that every couple of months she’ll go get some of the boxes, take them over to her parents house, and let them go through them to figure out what they want to keep and what they’re willing to sell. Then she has two yard sales a year. Her prices were pretty darn good. The best thing I got from her was this fifty cent dollhouse sofa:

It’s a German maker, Spielwaren, and I put it up on eBay where it sold for $37. Not bad for a fifty cent investment! The other thing I put up on eBay right away was this game, from 1915:

I had high hopes for it given its age and the fact that it was a complete set, but the board itself is in pretty poor shape. It only got one bid and sold for $10 (I paid $2) and was a pain to box up because of the length of the board. But I shouldn’t complain, given the success of the little sofa.

I bought a few pieces of  old children’s clothes for a buck a piece — this was the prettiest one:

This tiny little Redman hamper was $3. I guess it’s a clothes hamper, but one pair of my jeans would be too big to fit in it.

I got some other odds and ends, like this cute peach pitcher and this marble thingy:

And this cool platter…

But my favorite buy was this framed print. I actually paid $10 for it, which is an enormous amount for me.

The mat is like a linen-y fabric. I don’t know if you can tell in this photo but the maid is peeking into a note she’s taking to her employer on a tray.

I just love everything about it. I’m keeping her, just don’t know where she’s going to hang yet!

This weekend was this huge yard sale event, sponsored by our local newspaper, that was held at the fairgrounds. They’ve tried this sort of thing before, I was told, and it was terribly unsuccessful, so I was a little wary about wasting my time hitting this sale first when I could potentially be missing some great yard sales elsewhere (Barb didn’t go the fairgrounds and said the yard sales were practically empty because everyone was shopping at the fairgrounds). Luckily, it started at 6:30. Wait, did I say LUCKILY? Ugh. I had to get up at 5:30, which is very nearly physically impossible for me. The plan was to be one of the first through the doors at 6:30, do a quick pass of the place, and be back at my car at 7 where I still had a chance of being first on the scene to sales that started between 7-7:30. However, when I got to the fairgounds at 6:10, I joined a loooooooong line of cars that were not moving at all. They were charging an admittance fee to this thing, and apparently had no way of setting up the entrance so that people would have to stop and pay before entering so their plan was to take money from the cars before letting them park. Only they weren’t going to do that until 6:30. So I had to wait. When they finally started collecting money, it was obvious they were overwhelmed by how many cars they had waiting — three people were out there going from window to window…then I realized they didn’t have change on them. If someone handed them a $20, they had to run get change. OMG. You guys. If I wake up at 5:30 to be the first through the door you had best not get in my way. I was SO cranky by the time I parked my car. The good news was there weren’t many people at all shopping when I started to I feel like I got first pick of quite a few booths.

This was my big splurge of the day, for $15.


I really do love it, and I know it was worth $15, but my plan had been to sell it on eBay — but it weighs about 20 pounds, no lie. I don’t know how I would ship it for anything approximating a decent shipping cost because the box is going to be so large and heavy. This COULD all be rationalization for keeping it myself.

My irritation spiked when I hit this table with about 25 old games stacked on it. I asked the guy running it how much his games were and he said, “Oh, I don’t know.” So I wait, thinking he’s mulling over prices. Three minutes passes while I continue awkwardly shuffling around the boxes until it becomes obvious he’s not thinking — he’s just not going to answer. So I say, “Were you able to come up with any price?” and he asks me which ones I was interested in. I pick up four boards — just the boards, not a complete game — and he quoted me $25. Eh, too much to re-sale. Then I found this game.

Can you even imagine anything more boring than a bird watching board game? But the graphics of the board and the game pieces were beautiful.

He quoted me $10 for this and $5 for this awesome, wood Ten Pins game.

I talked him down to $12 for both, which is  little rich for my blood, but I’m pretty sure the bird game will sell on eBay and I’m going to keep the Ten Pins game to use as decoration. I just love the colors.

Stuck inside the Bird game were pieces to ANOTHER bird game — Bird-O. The illustrations were beautiful.

I got two more readers, because who doesn’t need twelve million readers all stacked up and tucked away where no one can even see them?

It is official. I collect chickens. I do not know how that happened but there you have it. 

The first thing I bought was this vintage religious print for $3. Amazing price.

It appears Jesus is praying in front of a Kia, but that is merely the reflection of my car, which you already knew, because Jesus only drives American-made.

I know I got a couple of other things but that’s all I took pictures of. If you haven’t already, you have to go over to Shara’s site to see the fabulous things she got when she showed up at 11 am. I am telling you, she could show up at 4 pm and still get 10 times better merchandise than I get.

I finished up with the sale and went to a few other yard sales with my sister-in-law, but we didn’t get much. I got some fabulous things for the kids at one sale but there wasn’t a lot of vintage to be had out there. I found myself finished with my list before 10 am and sat in a parking lot for about 10 minutes, trying to figure out where to go next…I couldn’t bring myself to go home so early! I drove about 40 minutes to an auction in a neighboring town that sounded good but by the time I got there, everything I would have been interested in had sold. I did stop at a few places along the way, though.

This is the world’s most perfect pink lamp.

Weeelllll, it WOULD be, if it worked. Since I only paid $1.50 for it, I’m not too upset, and think I’ll keep it to get it re-wired so it can (eventually) be Emme’s bedside table lamp.

I got these feedsacks for a buck a piece. The only reason I know they’re feedsacks is because 1. the guy selling them told me and 2. the size of them and 3. I can see where the seams were ripped out. All the feedsack material I’ve seen in the past has had very small repeating prints on it. Is this more recent feedsack material? Imitation feedsacks? Help me, Internet, you’re my only hope.

And that’s all I’m going to throw out at you tonight. I am, as my kids say, seepy. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

Linking up to Sir Thrift a Lot ,  A Living Space’s Nifty Thrifty,   and Elizabeth & Co. 


May 6, 2014 - 8:21 am

Sarah Those are feedsacks meant to be used as pillow cases (sometimes as aprons, but mostly pillowcases). Border prints is the fancy name.

May 6, 2014 - 11:06 pm

Shara I don’t know why you seem to think I find good stuff – all I buy it little junk. You have an eye for the good stuff. I love that little ten pins game and the feedsacks. I thought they were known as pillowcase sheeting, so know I know better.

We have a pressure washer and it is currently lost in the depths of our shed. I LOVE power washing things. We did the entire sidewalk in front of our house and the driveway and it was blindingly white. We need to find it because that nasty green algae stuff is starting to get on the siding on the North side of the house.

So, now I must ask – WWJD? What would Jesus drive?

May 8, 2014 - 6:37 am

Chanelle I think the maid picture is just fabulous! I’d be sneaking a peek too!
Randolph coming in two weeks…you and Shara coming?

May 9, 2014 - 7:48 am

Melissa Pillow cases?! Thats awesome! I’ve never seen such a thing.

May 9, 2014 - 2:35 pm

Into Vintage I LOVE that maid print — from her nosiness to her cut-down-to-here ticking stripe dress. Love. Your Jesus-Kia remark had me laughing out loud, here at my desk. Alone. Yeah!

Do you rewire your own lamps? I’ve been doing that for a while now since it’s the simplest of electrical tasks and has a fairly low probability of self-inflicted electrocution.

May 9, 2014 - 3:04 pm

Anne You did really great at your junking.

June 3, 2014 - 9:48 am

Lara Jo Anne, thank you! And thank you for visiting the blog and taking the time to comment!

June 3, 2014 - 9:51 am

Lara Jo Amy: I don’t rewire my own lamps. Well, I did rewire one floor lamp, and sold it at a Vintage Bazaar in Chicago, and I SWEAR to you that I watched the newspaper for weeks afterward for news of an apartment fire started by a used lamp purchased second-hand. I just don’t trust myself and I never feel like I’m doing it right! So I only re-wire if I’m keeping something since it’s too expensive to have done for re-sale.

June 3, 2014 - 3:54 pm

Anne Your Welcome, I love your style with your vintage finds, great stuff.