Neosho City-Wide Yard Sales for the FOURTH TIME!

Okay, it is officially a tradition: for the fourth time, we bribed someone to watch our children (just kidding, Justin’s mom was sweet enough to come over and stay with them) so that Justin and I could get up at 5 am and drive an hour and a half to the Annual Neosho City Wide Yard Sale event. And for the fourth time, it was totally worth the drive, which is surprising, because, in my experience, as these annual yard sale events go on, the pickings get more and more crappy as the participants just continue to pull out the same stuff that didn’t sell the year before. But I managed to find enough stuff to fill the car once again, so I suppose we will continue on with this tradition!

At this point, the areas are familiar to me, and I’ve got a bit of a plan (instead of just blindly driving around as I did the first two years). I head to Oak Ridge Avenue, with is a big loop that they turn into a one-way street for the sale day. There are always a ton of sales and a church sale where the prices cannot be beat (I got these two filing cabinets, plus a bunch of frames, for five bucks at the church this year).

BTW, here’s an app rec: I use Route4me, and it’s excellent for yard saling. They used to charge a monthly fee to route over a certain number of spots but I don’t think they do that anymore. I haven’t been able to find any other app that lets me type in tons of addresses (it was 47 for Neosho, over 70 for Tulsa) and then maps it in the most efficient way.

The two Asian relief chalk hangings came from a sale where a woman was selling some of her grandmother’s stuff — she had recently passed away. I think they’re really cool and will end up at the college booth.

I also got this keen beverage set from her:

I washed them after I took this picture, and they look a bit more lustre-y and fun.

I got the two little scottie dogs and the two farm trucks, along with a few other things, at a sale on the corner of Cottage and High — I remember them from last year as being a house with a ton of great vintage stuff. They did not disappoint this year, although their prices were a little too steep for re-sale purposes — but, still, lots of fun stuff to look through. One of the women having the sale made the scottie dogs out of vintage wool blankets — I thought they were so cute! I’ll put these back until next Fall. I’ll bet theirs would be a great sale to hit on Saturday, when they’re a bit more flexible with their prices. Still, I will look forward to it again next year.

Can you even imagine if I had found the cabinet these drawers belong to instead of just the drawers?

I got about 25 of them, and the woman who sold them to me had no idea where they were from but we decided they may have been from a type cabinet from a newspaper, because, on the inside, each one has a letter of the alphabet. I have NO idea what I’m going to do with these but they were so cute I could not resist. They would be good display pieces for jewelry, maybe — I will have to see if my BFF Shara can use a few of them.

This is a close-up of a table from the big picture at the beginning of the post, and it’s from one of my FAVORITE stops this year — and one of the biggest-kept secrets of the city wide sale. They were NOT on my list that I pulled from the Chamber of Commerce site, so I don’t know if I just missed them, or if they didn’t submit their sale for the list, but I followed signs saying “Huge sale, Primitives and Junk” about five miles off of my route to find the place (1906 Pineville). The sale ended up being in a big barn-like shed in the back of someone’s house — it was totally charming and professional and adorable and their prices were UNBELIEVABLE. I hit them about 1 pm and I shudder to think what I might have missed. I got this table, the table in the first picture with wheels on it, the cute little step-stool in the picture of the drawers, and this cute kitchen cart, all for $50:

I’m going to take the cart apart and paint it — I did that with a cart I use for display at the Junk Ranch and everyone tries to buy it every year. Now they’ll be able to! That was a really fun stop.

Let’s talk about that saucer chair in the picture up there. I shouldn’t have bought it because I just can’t imagine that I’ll be able to salvage it — the vinyl, as you can see, is torn in multiple places. I was thinking about trying to find some of that patch stuff they used to make for vinyl things — you would kind of melt the patch on the tear with a hot iron? Do they make those anymore? And is it feasible with tears in such a large portion of the chair? I just couldn’t resist it — it swivels! And it’s so CUTE! And it was only $5! But oh, it’s a mess. Advice solicited and appreciated, if you have any. Those old bottles are very cool and were the other thing I got at the cool vintage sale at Cottage and High. They all have their original lids or corks.

The plus of this trip is that, along with vintage goodness, I always pick up lots of stuff for the kids, and this year was no different. I got a bunch of clothes and shoes for them AND a massive amount of Legos. Jack’s eyes were like saucers as I pulled out bag after bag of legos!

We stopped by Joplin and picked up lunch from Big R’s BBQ, which we found our very first year and have eaten at every year since. And dream about throughout the rest of the year. It’s some tasty BBQ, y’all. We intended that for dinner and then drove through a burger place for lunch. Along with the three donuts from breakfast, you can see that I took full advantage of the road trip junk food rule.

Shara went too, but I know she will do her own post, so be sure to pop over there and read her post about it. One of these days we will actually go on an adventure together, in the same car, although one of us will end up tied to the roof in order to make more room for the THE STUFF.

Hope yard sale season is kicking up for you guys, too! Thank goodness they’re back!

April 10, 2016 - 7:01 am

Chanelle Another fun adventure! That table with the wheels! I LOVE those drawers! Advise for your MCM round chair? Sell it in your college booth…it’s too hipster to resist. They can through an afghan on it. Or tape it with Razerback duct tape!

Chanelle

April 10, 2016 - 9:27 am

Martha Ritchie WONDERFUL STUFF!

April 10, 2016 - 11:03 am

Laurie Such great stuff!!! ❤️

April 10, 2016 - 11:58 pm

Shara Your BFF had her mouth agape at those little drawers. They are so fun! You really found great stuff. Like really great stuff. Next year I will get my act together and find the rest of the town and not get a flat. Yes, that sounds like a great idea! Chanelle is right – I bet that chair will sell at Funky no matter what – it’s great! We do need to go on a trip in the same car someday. But, I get sick when tied on top. 😀

April 11, 2016 - 9:20 am

Melissa’s Antiques If you figure out a vinyl fix – let me know – I bought a yellow costco stool that looks pretty minty, except for a tiny half in tear in the stool seat!

April 11, 2016 - 7:13 pm

Ree Cee I came over via Shara’s blog. And OHMAGOODNESS – I love your drawers! I have a thing for stuff that holds stuff (I’m jonesing on the file cabinets too) and I have my own collection of printers trays in my booth here in Virginia Beach. Of course I’ve priced them so high no one will buy them (hee hee). I lost my perspective on size – how big/little are they? Do you have an Etsy store that they might find their way to?

April 11, 2016 - 7:14 pm

Lara Jo Melissa, I’ve found some stuff online for instructions on how to use vinyl repair kits to fix vinyl tears — I think the biggest problem is matching the paint afterwards. I’m not sure exactly how it works but I think it’s a much better solution when the tears are small, like yours sounds like.

April 11, 2016 - 7:15 pm

Lara Jo Shara, I knew you would like those drawers. I’ve already set some aside for you. You had bad luck with that stupid flat, I hate that. You get to do a road trip so rarely, it’s totally unfair that something bad would happen when you do get an opportunity! I went back and read my blog report from the first visit to Neosho, and I didn’t get much. I think familiarity with the town helps. It will be better for you next year!

April 11, 2016 - 7:15 pm

Lara Jo Thanks, Laurie! You’ll have to come next year! You can keep Shara company tied up on the roof!!!

April 11, 2016 - 7:16 pm

Lara Jo Thank you, Miss Martha! It’s all headed up to your store PDQ!

April 11, 2016 - 7:17 pm

Lara Jo Chanelle, the Razorback tape suggestion is BRILLIANT. I think that’s probably what I’ll end up doing. Thanks for the great idea! It never would have occurred to me!

April 11, 2016 - 7:31 pm

Lara Jo Hey, Ree Cee, welcome! Thanks for stopping by. You and I share a passion — STUFF THAT HOLDS STUFF. I am such a fan, too. These drawers are tiny — they’re, like 4X6. I do have an Etsy store and if I send them that way, I will BE SURE to let you know — but right now, I think I’m keeping them for display purposes at junk shows. But really because I just LOVE THEM. I also do the “price things high so no one will buy them” trick. That way, you’re going to be okay either way because you either get to keep the stuff OR you get a big paycheck. Win, win! Thanks so much for reading — hope you’ll come back often!

April 12, 2016 - 10:14 am

Kathy Epley Looks like you had a great day! I bought a kitchen cart like yours here in town, years ago, in PERFECT condition, for about $7. I kept my microwave on the top shelf and cookbooks below. Sold it about a year ago….soft buttery color. And about that chair….if it were mine, I would find someone to recover it. When something vintage is so torn up, I wouldn’t feel guilty about removing original to replace and restore to beautiful…and it looks like a fun chair to sit in, too! It’s finally warming up and feeling like Spring…hope you have a great summer!

April 12, 2016 - 5:52 pm

Erica Such good junk!!! Love that cart. I have quite a few scattered around my house. Brian always cringes when I bring them home because he knows there is a painting project in his very near future.

And thanks for the Route4Me tip. Downloading it as we speak!

April 12, 2016 - 5:52 pm

Erica Such%20good%20junk!!!%20%20Love%20that%20cart.%20%20I%20have%20quite%20a%20few%20scattered%20around%20my%20house.%20%20Brian%20always%20cringes%20when%20I%20bring%20them%20home%20because%20he%20knows%20there%20is%20a%20painting%20project%20in%20his%20very%20near%20future.

And%20thanks%20for%20the%20Route4Me%20tip.%20%20Downloading%20it%20as%20we%20speak!

April 13, 2016 - 7:11 am

Pam My Mom used to have a chair just like that. Ripped seat and all. She magically fixed it by throwing a shag rug over the seat. Probably won’t help in your situation 🙂 Love that little stool thing too. You find the bestest junk!

April 15, 2016 - 3:01 pm

Julie Humphrey You missed our sale (corner of High and Susan)! Oak Ridge Drive is a good route. It used to be considered the “old money” street. My grandparents lived on the newer section. The barn sale on Pineville Rd. is a primitive shop that is open year round. There is also a great primitive sale on Sunset. He opens on Wednesday. We open on Wednesday as well. We always have lots of great vintage stuff because my dad buys things at auction for just a couple of items and then garage sales the rest. We have a lot of dealers who stop by. We had a lady from Clarksville this year. She bought a ton of vintage post cards from my dad.

July 5, 2016 - 10:00 pm

Lara Jo Hey, Julie, I’m so sorry that I’m just now answering your comment — I SO appreciate your information on the Neosho sales but I’m sick I missed yours! No matter how hard I try, I just can’t seem to hit them all, LOL. I will definitely put it on my route for next year. Although now you’ve got me worried that we need to be showing up on Wednesday — maybe Justin and I need to take that day off instead of Friday! I’ll have to plan accordingly. Thanks again for stopping by and especially for the info!

July 5, 2016 - 10:02 pm

Lara Jo Kathy, deepest apologies for not answering sooner — sometimes I get enough time to make a post but not enough to answer comments, which I should always do first! I ended up using Razorback duct tape on that chair, if you can believe that, and a college student bought it from the booth in Fayetteville. It would have been beautiful had I been able to fully restore it. Hope your summer is going well — I just started a new job TODAY and am trying to deal with the shock of going back to work after three years of staying home with the kids…and it is QUITE a shock. We’ll see how this goes. Take care!