You win some, you lose some.

So as you might know from my incessant chatter about it, Shara and I sold at a Holiday Bazaar on Saturday. I took all of my holiday projects — the signs, the trays, and the caddies. Foolishly, I had the thought “I hope I don’t sell EVERYTHING because then I will have to make a whole bunch of new stuff for the open house at the flea market!” Well, Jesus granted that wish, as I sold exactly three things: one sign, one set of letter blocks, and the pair of wire angels I thrifted some time back. After I had paid my share of the booth space, I took home $8.

Now, this would be a tragedy, EXCEPT for the fact that it allowed me four hours of uninterrupted Shara time. WORTH IT! Plus, they had a hospitality room, where they had Little Debbies in the shape of Christmas trees. I haven’t had those in years. They are SO DELICIOUS.

The primary problem was that the organizers fell down on the job when it came to publicizing the event — I would guess we had maybe a hundred people come through in the four hours we were sitting there, though that may be optimistic. It was a LITTLE demoralizing because, not only did those few in attendance refrain from purchasing my stuff —  they barely LOOKED at it. I mean, they just walked on by with nary a second glance. Shara got a ton of lookie-loos and she sold more than I did, but, you guys, you should have seen how great her stuff was — she should have sold a LOT more than she did. We decided our stuff was just too awesome for the attendees to handle. You know, similar to the way your best friend in high school told you the boys weren’t asking you out because you intimidated them with your beauty and intelligence. I forgot my camera so I don’t have any pictures, which is just as well, because who wants to post a photo of such an abject failure?? — but if you hop on over to Shara’s blog I’m sure she’s going to post some pics of her space. Which, again, was AWESOME.

The fact that I had the bazaar on Saturday morning did not, of course, stop me from stopping by the estate sale from last weekend, where they had promised more attic stuff to peruse. To tell you the truth, I didn’t see that much new stuff, but of course that didn’t stop me from buying more crap.

I have been wanting a brownie for display for a while.

I think this Bates cowboy blanket is going to go at the foot of Jack’s big boy bed.  It was a dollar.

These little ceramic fruit tiles, made in Japan, were mounted on the nastiest background — a flocked blue fabric that had seen better days. I pulled it off and used some of my favorite polka-dot fabric to make them a little cuter. They are tiny, about three by three inches. They were a quarter each and are now hanging in my kitchen. Which is going to be painted soon, I hope, as it is a very 1990s red.

The only new things I saw were some tablecloths, which I grabbed up left and right without examining them as they were all priced at a dollar or two. Every single one of them has at least one stain, which is disappointing, but I would have bought them anyway since they were so inexpensive. I’m hoping Kristie will give me her prize recipe for vintage linen soak because she has lots of luck getting everything clean.

This is tied for my favorite. That’s a little bee hive on there! And it’s pink!

This is my other favorite. It is in BEAUTIFUL shape, still crisp, but has ONE stain on it. Fingers crossed that I can get it out.

This one is beautiful, and very 1960s.

Lovely, but this one is pretty damaged.

Shara and I were just talking about how we love seeing tablecloths that had been patched. This one has careful patches in two different places. We used to “reuse, recycle, repurpose” a lot more fifty years ago than we do today, no matter how trendy that phrase has become.

This is a cute apron with chickens embroidered on it. It’s not old, but it’s nice, and the tag proclaims that it was Made in France. TRES FANCY.

I also found two pieces of barkcloth, but they’re tiny pieces, nothing to get too excited about. Good for crafting, though.

Thursday I helped Kristie and Bailey with their estate sale. I can’t remember if I’ve written much about it on the blog, though I should have. It was incredible — furniture, silver, china, etc. from the 1700s and 1800s, including three samplers done in the 1800s by the same school girl. They even found the journal of this little girl who had completed the samplers. Beautiful antique duck decoys that were in gorgeous condition. SO much stuff. They’ve been working on it for nearly two months and just kept finding more and more stuff, each piece better than the one before it. Their work on estate sales is exquisite, and their clients get so much for their money — they take things home and launder them, iron them, repair them if necessary. Their research is METICULOUS and they are determined to price everything, down to the smallest item, fairly to both the client and the consumer. EVERYTHING is priced and labeled. Get on over to Facebook and Like them immediately if you’re anywhere in the Northwest Arkansas vicinity — Bailey is great about posting photos and updating their page when there are specials and sales. They’ve got a storefront space that is packed TO THE GILLS with fabulous stuff and they’re trying to get that sale scheduled within the next month or so. You will not want to miss it, NWA peeps!

And now, let us gaze upon my favorite purchases from their latest sale.

I saw this when they first started getting ready for the sale and I could not stop thinking about it. I don’t think a picture does it justice. I love the poem — I was a HUGE fan of the Bright and Beautiful books when I was a pre-teen and it brings back such good memories. And the illustrations are BEAUTIFUL. This will eventually hang in a place of honor in the twins’ room as soon as I get it decorated. I’m waiting for them to go to their big-kid beds before I crack open a can of decorating in there. And, if I have my way, that will be about the time they turn SIX.

This milkglass compote is from the 1800s. Can you see the cool basket weave on the pedestal?

What’s that you say? I don’t need any more mixing bowls? Well, YOU JUST TAKE THAT NEGATIVE NANCY TALK ELSEWHERE. You CAN be too thin and too rich but you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT have too many vintage mixing bowls. Especially when they’re McCoy nesting beehive bowls.

This isn’t all I purchased, but at some point, I have to stop taking pictures and actually write a post, so that’s all I got today.

Oh, and a new sign! Too bad I didn’t have this on Saturday, as people could have NOT looked at it and NOT purchased it! #bitterseller

And that’s all I got for you for now. I’m going on Thursday morning to pull my booth apart and put it back together with a whole lotta Christmas going on inside of it, so you better believe I will take pictures of that. The Open House is Friday, and I am so sad I will miss it — I was planning on coercing my sister-in-law into going to it with me once the husbands were home to stay with the kids but I just realized I have a testing shift that night. Doggone.

Oh, and one more thing — I was planning on taking the great metal cabinet with the curvy legs to the booth for the open house, but then you guys started putting all these fancy thoughts about “powder coating” and “sand blasting” in my head and now I think it’s going to have to sit in my garage for a while while I mull over my choices. THANKS A LOT, INTERNET PEOPLE WITH GREAT IDEAS.

November 17, 2013 - 11:24 pm

Shara I just wrote post about the Bazaar and came to see your spin. Do you hate me? You are so sweet and I really did have such fun with you all day. Those people with their googley eye Razorbacks and Pepper Jelly just don’t GET US. We are just too hip and cool for those guys. 😀

Oh, and don’t forget about your Speshul order on that new hot BIBLE quote. She really does want it – she told me so.

I feel so bad about your $8.00 day. But not so bad that I am not TEEMING with jealousy over those tablecloths. I can see it now – the day we go to a sale and get into a hair pulling cursing match over tablecloths. Kidding – I really feel terrible about it all. You could have bought, like, six boxes of Little Debbie Christmas Tree Cakes and just stayed home.

*I recognize the green paint from your hands on the Earth now.

November 18, 2013 - 1:53 am

Hope G Lara, I popped over from Shara’s blog. I understand your frustration about people not ‘getting’ your things you make. I have the same problem, only I live in England where ‘craft’ is mad up of handmade greetings cards and knitted tea cozies. I make paperclay critters, and altered things….not exactly what people want. I have sold very few things in my time here and it is frustrating because I had no problems selling stuff back in Arkansas. Chin up and remember that there will be other sales.

November 18, 2013 - 6:37 am

Chanelle I sometimes feel like your doppelgänger here in Chicago. I do summer booths at Randolph and the Vintage garage etc…my kiddos are about five years older and I junk all over town. Anyways…I’m doing a show in two weeks that I am so afraid that will be an $8 show. So my eyes bugged out reading about your non adventures. So afraid that will be my day too.
Well you made rent, hung with a friend, had a cookie (or ten) and got away from the routine for a while…priceless.

November 18, 2013 - 7:55 am

Heidi@TheMerryMagpieVintage That beehive tablecloth? Oh my. Stained or not, I’d buy that in a hot second.

Just came over from Shara’s blog but I will say the same thing here–you guys were totally right about people just not getting it. The High Schools around here each have a Christmas bazaar so I could spend every weekend in November doing those, and the fee is cheap–but I wouldn’t sell a darn thing because people wouldn’t GET my stuff either. I live deep in the ‘burbs and that is just not what my demographic is buying, however disappointing and boring that is. Your signs are really beautiful and clever and I’m sure that once the people with some taste see them in your booth, they’ll be snapped up fast! It super sucks to put your time/money/heart into making stuff that doesn’t sell, for whatever reason. I’d be bitter too–heck, I’m still bitter about a show I did last October where the hideous weather scared all the shoppers away.

November 18, 2013 - 9:25 am

Linda @ A La Carte Hi Lara! I’m a Shara fan and she sent me over to visit you and now I’m a Lara fan! You found some great stuff at your Estate sales for sure. I loved the pics of your booth Shara put up on her blog. I would so buy a sign/tray!!! Can’t wait to follow along with you adventures and get to know you better!
hugs,
Linda

November 18, 2013 - 9:40 am

Laurie Okay, I went to an estate sale on Hill, but it was NOT THIS ESTATE SALE!!! 🙁 I totally would have nabbed those tablecloths if they’d been there. Dagnabbit! Probably for the best though… and I did find some cool stuff… weird.

November 18, 2013 - 7:20 pm

jenny So sorry the bazaar was a bust. Our small town has one too and I thought about setting up there until I went last year and realized that my stuff would have totally been out of place.

Those tablecloths are gorgeous and someone I follow on Instagram takes the really badly stained and damaged ones and cuts them up and turns them into Christmas banners. I gasped out loud when I found out she. cut. up. vintage. tablecloths!!! But they looked reallllllllllllly cute as banners and she had a sale and sold each banner for $25 each and sold every single one of them!! Cue me going through my vintage tablecloths looking for the really bad ones, scissors in hand!

November 19, 2013 - 10:04 pm

Shannon Your stuff would have totally sold in Chicago. All of it. You should move back 🙂

December 5, 2013 - 10:22 am

Amy If you ever want to unload the Bates cowboy blanket….. I’m your huckleberry! Love it!!

December 5, 2013 - 10:34 pm

Lara Jo Linda, thanks so much for visiting — I really appreciate it! Thanks for the sweet comments!

December 5, 2013 - 10:38 pm

Lara Jo Hey, Chanelle! Thanks so much for writing! If you don’t have a blog, I’m going to force you to write me every now and then to tell me about your thrifting adventures in Chicago…I miss it SO MUCH. Seriously, to the point where I have to stop myself from thinking about it too much or else I get too sad. Please write and tell me how your sale went — where was it? Hope it was better attended than ours was. Thanks so much for writing and please keep me posted on your doings in Chicago!

December 5, 2013 - 10:41 pm

Lara Jo Thanks, Heidi. You’re the best!

December 5, 2013 - 10:41 pm

Lara Jo Thank you, Hope, that really helps! And now I desperately want to see photos of your work. Do you sell anywhere online? It sounds so cool.

August 22, 2017 - 12:02 am

chelsey pike Hello Justin & Lara!

This is a little strange. For me, at least. I am turning 30 tomorrow and was just talking to my mom tonight, about many things. One thing that came up was a painting I lost, a family heirloom from her grandmother, actually, when I was 20.

When I was 20: I somehow managed to find myself a very abusive relationship, had to run and left everything behind. Including the one thing that was worth anything at all, the picture that had hung in my bedroom since I was born. All Things Bright and Beautiful. It was the only picture I had in my room. I since became a watercolorist. I don’t know if it was because of that painting, but I do know that the art of spacing lettering, which is my specialty, I learned studying the way the words fell into those arches (while not sleeping after my parents tucked me in.)

I left my college boyfriend, I remember, phoning him only to tell him to please please please save that painting. In my personal chaos, I hadn’t realized I’d left it in my upstairs art studio. He said he did, but many years later at a mutual friend’s wedding told me he had been so mad at me he’d dropped it off in the rain outside of the Ballard, Washington Goodwill.

From there I imagine it had a journey that would warrant an award winning novel.

Well, here I am. A decade has brought me from my young chaotic flight to my home here, in Santa Cruz California, with my own family and little home. I am absolutely not trying to guilt your lovely family, or anyone, into anything. But I do know for certain, 100%, that is the painting I left behind a decade ago. I know because of the knick on the left of the frame about a quarter of the way up. I did that, with my fingernail, as revenge after my mom put me in a timeout. And boy, did that backfire on my 5 year old self.

If your twins would allow, I would love to see what you would consider selling it for, and if I can afford that on a watercolorist’s salary.

Just checking in hopes!
Chelsey Nicole Pike

August 23, 2017 - 9:08 pm

Lara Jo Chelsey! First of all, I am so happy that you were able to escape the relationship you described, and so happy that the intervening ten years find you happy and healthy. I would LOVE to put this in the mail for you for nothing more than the price of you sharing your story. If it is your grandmother’s from long ago, it’s a miracle, and needs to be returned to your hands ASAP! Email me your address (larajo@larajo.com) and I’ll pack it up really well and get it in the mail to you this week. It will make me so happy to deliver it home to you! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!