Boothy News: July, 2013

So June was not good. My smallest check since moving into my space, and I was really trying to figure out what I was doing wrong to cause such a downturn in business, because the store was as busy as ever. I wish I could say I figured out what the problem was — that I was stocking the wrong merchandise, styling it wrong, or pricing it too high — but I just kept shoving more and more merchandise in, hoping for the best, and lo and behold, the drought is over. I went to work night tonight and took a look at the book — I’m already about $60 over where I was for the whole month of June. Actually, I really do think I know what the problem was — during the move and a couple of weeks afterwards, I didn’t have my crap together enough to get new stuff into the booth, nor did I have the time to really switch things up when I did get down there. It really, really seems to have made a difference, which indicates to me that I might be dealing with a lot of return customers who get bored with the same old stuff week after week. So I feel creatively renewed! I need to get my butt in gear and get that garage cleaned and organized so I can churn out some more projects. I worked on these this week:

The buttercup one is my favorite and as I am writing this I am wishing I had kept it for the kids’ room.

I just realized that I never priced those wooden paper trays nor the little teak box behind the deer. Grrr!

There are a lot of things in these pictures that have been in that booth forever at this point without selling (I’M LOOKING AT YOU, WOODEN CARVED PEOPLE) but I’m just going to focus on the fact that I am selling stuff again. HOORAY!

July 11, 2013 - 11:18 pm

Shara It all looks great. I really need to gut my booth and start over, but man, that would take SO much time. When I first got my booth out there, I thought it would be new people stopping by – people traveling through, vacationers, etc. But, once I started working out there, I realized that is is the same people that come every week. And, they can do an entire store in ten minutes because they can spot the new stuff immediately.

Sorry you forgot to price those trays. Hope you wiped off the Goodwill grease pencil prices. I see that lot!

July 13, 2013 - 8:25 am

Melissa Chin Up Buttercup, I love that!!! I call my brother Buttercup.
Sometimes it’s just not possible to put a lot of time into your booth. I just wish that the booth would react a little better to it. My sales for July have just stunk to high heaven, and it’s discouraging. This makes me want to not go down there which in turn makes the booth even angrier. I’m going down there today though and we are going to have a long talk about it’s behavior as of late. I’m done, it’s time for sales dangit!
Thanks for the inspiration to get off my rear end!

July 13, 2013 - 8:16 pm

Linda @ A La Carte Love your booth and glad sales are picking up. I came to visit from Shara’s blog!

Linda

July 13, 2013 - 9:34 pm

Lara Jo Hi, Linda! Thanks for visiting and for your nice comments!!!

July 13, 2013 - 9:40 pm

Lara Jo Shara and Melissa — see, I look at both of your booths and have booth envy. Doesn’t look like there’s a darn thing wrong with either of them! I guess we all get tired of our booths every now and then. Melissa, hope your strongly-worded chat with your booth went well. Shara, your last sentence sent chills through me because I DON’T THINK I DID WIPE OFF THE GREASE PENCILS.

July 13, 2013 - 10:23 pm

Mary You probably already have – but, if not, read Sue’s Vintage Rescue Squad post. It sounds almost like yours! Chin up, buttercup! Mary

July 14, 2013 - 9:43 am

Lara Jo Hey, Mary! I had not read it yet but just did. She gives way better advice than I could. Makes me feel better that even pro vendors like her have the same problems! Thanks for sharing!