Booth-a-palooza.

At Daisies and Olives, where my booth is, the owner hosts work nights the second Thursday night of every month. This just happens to coincide with Justin’s board meetings, so I haven’t had a chance to attend one yet, but the stars aligned last week and I finally made it. This was good, because I’m desperately trying to come up with creative ways to get out to the booth without paying for a babysitter. I can’t get out there, get the work done, and get back home in less than two hours (it takes me between 20 and 30 minutes of travel time, depending on the traffic and how many police cars I pass along the way :-)) which means it costs me somewhere between $20 and $25 to hire someone to sit with the kids while I make a booth run. I did this a few times before I really thought about how much that cuts into my profit margin (and gas is already doing a pretty good job of that to begin with). I’ve been lucky over the past month, because my Mom has been up so often, but that run of luck has just about run out. So I’ve GOT to figure something out. Work Night came at a very good time as it had been a week since I had visited and I had so much stuff from my Neosho trip to add to the booth.

It was so much fun — when you re-stock while the store is open, you always feel like you’re in the customer’s way, and it’s so awkward to be re-arranging your booth while someone is trying to shop in it. It also means I can’t move stuff out of the booth and into the aisle, which makes serious re-arranging difficult. Thursday night I could just move around pell-mell, since in my section of the store there was only one other vendor in attendance. Plenty of room! My goal was to get it looking really, really different from the month before and I think I succeeded.

I’m selling my hand-carved wooden figures! Have you ever had something decorative in your house that you were kind of “meh” about but everyone else who saw it raved? That’s what those wooden figures are to me. I’ve never really warmed up to them but avoided selling them because every one else seemed to think they’re sensational. I marked them high ($48 for the pair) so if they sell, I’ll be thrilled with the money but if they don’t, I will be okay.

That lamp just won’t sell. Tell me the truth: is it ugly? Is it marked too high? I have it at $24, which I know is high, but those vintage glass lamps go for big bucks in Chicago and I just think the shade is ADORABLE. I think I’m going to give it one more week and then bring it home because it would look so great with the new bedside tables in the guest room (which I still need to take photos of).

Ah, my little Neosho teddy bears.

As I”m posting these pictures I’m fixating on the things that have been in the booth for a while without selling. How long do you leave stuff in your booth? I’m starting to get antsy about things not selling and have been yanking them after week three or so. But maybe I’m not giving stuff enough time? I’m accumulating quite a pile for the yard sale I’m planning on having prior to the move in May!

April 19, 2013 - 11:34 pm

Shara I love your booth! I have got to cross Buchannan Street and see it with my own eyes. That bunny stool just speaks to me – it is adorable. I leave things in my booth a long time. Like a long, long time. But, I have a thousand small things so I can always cram more in there. It takes just the right person to buy certain hings, so I usually just leave it, but rearrange it a lot. Your booth has such a sweet look to it. I love that Keep your fork print too. That’s a HOOT!

April 20, 2013 - 9:21 am

Heidi I have the same babysitting dilemma when it comes to estate sales–here, they usually open on Friday mornings but I have a 3-year-old who is not exactly estate sale material–so I can never go. I’ve thought about maybe finding a friend I could swap with every other week or so? In the summer, I can easily hire a teenager but like you, it would cost $25 and that would definitely take a huge chunk from my profits.

I don’t think the lamp is ugly at all. I think it will need a very specific buyer because of the color scheme, though. The shade actually looks a bit large for the lamp, to be honest–it’s hard to see the actual lamp underneath in the photos. I don’t think 3 weeks is long to leave things at all, since you may have buyers that only stop in once a month or so. I think your booth is darling!

April 22, 2013 - 7:41 pm

Lara Jo Hey, Heidi!
Your idea to trade babysitting with a friend is a great one. I have a sister-in-law in town who has a six-month-old and I have been thinking of proposing the same thing to her. I could have my day be on Fridays and hit a few estate sales before going out to foof the booth…hmm…depending on how she feels about it, you may have solved my problem!

My mom told me the shade was too big for that lamp and I stubbornly ignored her because it was the only lamp I had at the time and I wanted to get the shade in the shop ASAP. Now that I have confirmation I may have to admit I was wrong and save it for a bigger lamp.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and for checking out my blog!

Lara

April 22, 2013 - 7:42 pm

Lara Jo Thank you, ma’am! The bunny stool did not sell last week. I was kind of surprised, but I have realized that I am not a good judge of what is going to sell and what is not going to sell. The Fork print sold! So that’s good. I’m off to catch up on your blog.

April 25, 2013 - 9:27 pm

Jane Hightower She NEVER listens to her mother — NEVER EVER! — but luckily if someone else tells her the shade is too tall for the lamp, she hears it. Lara, maybe you could find a way to extend the harp on the lamp, or get a taller harp?, to make it work. I love that shade but it does cover up the beautiful glass.

April 27, 2013 - 9:04 pm

» Zero to Twins […] to get me through to nap time — my niece came over and babysat at about 3:30 so I could go stock my flea market booth. It was a lovely, quiet, thirty minute drive out to Prairie Grove, let me tell […]