Oh. Ma. Ga.

Y’all. Have you seen these candlesticks from Anthropologie?

SO FUN TO MAKE, right? If I could figure out how to drill through ceramic successfully. Although, I guess I did that with the plate stands I was making.  Huh. Might be worth a try.

They’re selling them for $399. To whom, I can’t help but wonder? It seems like the kind of person who has that kind of dough for a CANDLESTICK wouldn’t particularly care for this style.

December 13, 2011 - 6:41 am

Carolyn Dodson-King I love these candlesticks too, but I don’t think I’ll be buying any at that price! Try a diamond tip drill bit. Bone china can be pretty hard to drill through, but it can be done 🙂

December 13, 2011 - 9:03 am

Lara Jo Right?? The price perplexes me. Thanks for the tip on the drill bit — I seriously may have to try these, maybe on a smaller scale.

December 13, 2011 - 10:29 pm

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) I saw these in the Anthro catalogue too and thought to myself “AHA finally these knick knacks/curios will have a useful purpose.” Their stuff is always insanely overpriced, I don’t know how most people afford it. Did you also see their winking owl cookie jar that was a direct copy of the vintage version?

Oh and btw I’ll be in Fayettevile from December 20-30th! Will be thrifting most of that time hehe.

December 22, 2011 - 6:47 pm

janie hightower Well, Lara, you have lots of things on hand, I would guess, that could be used for one of these candlesticks. I would want a shorter one, if you were making me one.

January 4, 2012 - 9:39 am

Kim Trying to figure out why you have to drill the ceramic — couldn’t we glue the heck out of it? Or is that just playing with fire?

January 4, 2012 - 10:16 am

Lara Jo It might be worth a try! Though after I posted this I realized that I had drilled ceramic before, when I made the two-tier cake plates out of souvenir plates. It turned out not to be so hard after all, when I followed directions from the Internet — you have to wet the surface to keep it from getting wet, etc. Whether you used glue or the drill, I think the trick would be to start with trinkets that you didn’t care about that much so if you ruined them, it would be no biggie.

May 20, 2012 - 7:06 am

Audrey These are very cool! They look like mostly old salt shakers so you wouldn’t have to drill a lot of holes. They already have one in the bottom. This may be my project for the day! 🙂

August 19, 2012 - 4:23 pm

pjlee When I first started pinning there was a girl that made these…They were shorter and more chunky but cuter and cheaper. She used glue to fix them together and I have been collecting things to do it with but have not tackled yet. Notice the things that were used like candle stick holders and napkin rings for the dividers. Here is the link…Hope it helps!

August 20, 2012 - 7:09 pm

Lara Jo Oooohhh, thank you for sending that! I love that she tried it. I had forgotten that this project would give me permission to buy all the little things I see at thrift stores that I want and have no use for — thank you for reminding me and thanks for visiting the blog!

November 9, 2012 - 5:55 pm

Margaret Filler There are many videos on drilling glass and ceramic…use diamond drill bit…start with small bit and then enlarge hold. Some of the pieces look like short glasses and creamers. Clever!

November 12, 2012 - 2:52 pm

Lara Jo Thanks for the info, Margaret, and thanks for stopping by!

April 11, 2013 - 6:41 pm

michelle I could see making these with salt and pepper shakers. Oh the variety. And one hole is already done for you.

January 17, 2014 - 4:44 pm

Denise Clinton This is such a cool idea!!! I have to try it!!! I work with art glass and have drilled holes in it wit a diamond bit on a Drimmel. Works great and also helpful is using a bit of water to keep everything cool while drilling . 🙂

January 27, 2014 - 9:29 am

Lara Jo Sounds like you know what you’re doing, Denise! I still haven’t tried it, mostly because I keep forgetting to pick up enough of the small little trinkets at yard sales and thrift stores. Maybe this year I’ll actually do it.

August 31, 2016 - 3:57 pm

Myrtle Guidry-Roussel I adore the candlesticks, just fantastic!!!!!

October 2, 2016 - 5:25 pm

Cindy jones What was used to put these things on? Can’t figure out what they used

October 14, 2016 - 3:43 pm

Lara Jo Cindy, I think they’ve threaded a metal rod through them, which would require drilling of the small objects. I’ve drilled holes into creamic plates before — it’s kind of tricky.