Wallpaper: Check.

So, the husband and I are still married AND the wallpaper is up!

Um. Yeah. It’s upside down. How rude of you to notice.  I only realized it about three strips in and have been trying to forget it since. Justin argues that it could go anyway but I’m pretty sure there’s one side that is supposed to be up and it is NOT the side that is currently up. I’M NOT GOING TO LET IT BOTHER ME, THOUGH. It looks kind of busy, but keep in mind that it’s only one wall (and a short wall, at that) that we did. Here’s what it looks like next to the paint color.

Overall, I’m happy with the effect. I think it adds a little personality to the room. It was easier than I thought it would be, which is not to say that it was easy. In addition to the mistake with the pattern being upside down, we didn’t do that great a job on the seams, and I can’t figure out why. They’re matched up fine, but they’re not laying completely flat to the wall, and I’m afraid they’ll only get worse. We did everything we were told: used a seam roller but didn’t press to hard so as not to squeeze the adhesive out. (This, by the way, is where my dad ran into trouble while wallpapering my room when I was little, and where the word DIVORCE was uttered, because his solution was to staple the paper to the wall.) Also, we bought pretty cheap wallpaper — even though it cost $80 to wallpaper one wall, that was cheap compared to the other options (how does anyone afford to do a full room???) and I think that made a difference because it was pretty tearable when wet.  My question remains: why have no advances been made in the art of wallpapering over the past thirty years? How can it be just as tricky to do now as it was then?

Well, at least it’s up!

October 11, 2010 - 9:14 pm

Marsha Flowers grow in all sorts of directions…so up, down…not important. I agree that on one wall it’s just an accent and adds interest to the room. Your babies will be happy to have some nature in their room…and it’s a nice compromise. Not too feminine or masculine. I haven’t wallpapered in a long time but I’ve always done it solo…no marriage issues involved! Just remember…it’s ONLY WALLPAPER…and it can be changed if necessary!!

October 11, 2010 - 10:20 pm

janie hightower I assure you, it does NOT look upside down. I examined it carefully and think I see why you’re saying that, but I would never have thought it was upside down if you hadn’t brought it up. I’m very proud of you… I know I couldn’t have done it at all.

October 11, 2010 - 10:21 pm

janie hightower ……AND, I think it’s such a smart and pretty choice of pattern.

October 12, 2010 - 7:50 am

judy fagel I assure you, the babies will never notice!!!!! It looks great. Later if the seams get loose in any places there is wallpaper glue you can use on the edges.

October 12, 2010 - 9:34 pm

JunkHunk Marsha, how on earth have you ever wallpapered by yourself? It was madness with four hands, let alone two. By the second strip, I was convinced that only Doctor Octopus could have a decent chance of success.

October 13, 2010 - 7:56 am

Marsha Well, as a stay-at-home Mom in those days, I did it during the day when no one was around. I don’t remember having problems with the regular walls but I do remember vividly an incidence with a border along the ceiling that was like an “I Love Lucy” episode with me on a step-stool and some sort of long-handled mop! I wanted to call for help but couldn’t get to the phone–I finally learned to use shorter pieces! I did a lot of adventurous decorating projects in those days.

October 13, 2010 - 9:19 am

Elaine I love the wallpaper. I would not have realized it was upside down if you hadn’t mentioned it.

October 13, 2010 - 3:31 pm

Shannon Definitely can’t tell it is upside down. Great job guys!

October 15, 2010 - 10:41 pm

Elaine I’m especially glad to hear that you and “the husband” are still together.!

I made a comment earlier that I loved your wallpaper but it didn’t show up in the comments. Maybe I did something wrong?