More Fun With Ornaments.

I was trying to desperately whip some semblance of the Christmas spirit into my apartment yesterday because some friends were coming over to have a holiday photo taken — and I wanted SOMETHING that called to mind the holiday spirit in the photo! — and I ended up threading a bunch of my ornaments onto a ribbon.

ornament garland 1For such a quick project, it turned out really well! And unlike the wreath project in the last post, this is non-permanent — I can easily take them off the ribbon if I decide to use them for something else. Oh, I don’t know, like, for a TREE. I guess that’s what they’re really made for, right?

ornament garland 2We don’t get a tree in Chicago, because we ultimately end up spending Christmas down south with my family. But my parents stopped getting a real tree — something that would have been sacrilege when I was growing up but became necessary due to allergies.

ornament garland 3I just realized it’s been a long time since I’ve smelled a genuine, real, live Christmas tree. We might have to go get a little Charlie Brown Christmas tree to satisfy my sudden Christmas Tree Fragrance craving.

ANYWAY, this project could not have been easier. Grab a length of ribbon (thin enough to go through the ornament hooks but strong enough to hold the weight of a bunch of ornaments) and string a variety of ornaments onto it. Move them around so that you get a nice, full, chunky look to the garland. I did three shorter lengths to make arranging them a little easier. They get a little unwieldy once you’ve gotten a bunch of ornaments on — I probably used about 40-50 ornaments per three-foot length.

Fun, Fast, and Pretty! What more could you ask for?

November 23, 2012 - 3:20 pm

Lara Jo Hi, Linda! I’m a little bit of an ornament hoarder. I get them 75% off at the sales after Christmas but mostly I collect them from thrift stores, yard sales, and estate sales, where they can be had for mucho cheap. Thanks for stopping by!

November 30, 2012 - 8:44 pm

Carol Such a great idea! I might even be able to do it! Very pretty pictures! Looks like Christmas!

December 2, 2012 - 10:19 am

M BEAUTIFUL!! did you use glass or plastic ornaments?

December 24, 2012 - 3:37 pm

Laura @ Laura’s Crafty Life Thank you for the inspiration. I made some ornament garland and shared it on my blog. I linked back to your site! Hope that is okay!! http://www.laurascraftylife.com/2012/12/ornament-garland.html Have a happy holiday!

January 6, 2013 - 6:06 pm

Lara Jo Thank you, Laura! Yours is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!

January 6, 2013 - 6:07 pm

Lara Jo So sorry it’s taken me so long to reply, M — I used glass ornaments that I had found at thrift stores and yard sales. Thanks for visiting.

January 6, 2013 - 6:07 pm

Lara Jo Thank you, Carol!

February 9, 2013 - 12:39 pm

Lyndi I just ran across your site and I am thinking that I am going to make this garland by using “Easter egg” ornaments that I recently saw in the store :). I am so anxious to try this project! THANX for the ideas ­čÖé

February 10, 2013 - 9:08 am

Lara Jo Wow, Easter Eggs would be a great idea! Good look on your project and thanks for checking out the site!

August 18, 2013 - 7:43 am

Peg Don’t the wire rings attached to the ornaments tend to fall out? That’s usually how mine drop because the wires where the hanger goes in falls out of ornament. Did you glue the wires into the ornament hole first?

August 20, 2013 - 4:34 pm

Lara Jo Hi, Peg. Every now and then one would pop off. I did end up using a dab of hot glue on a few of them but by and large, they stayed in place pretty well. Thanks for visiting!

November 10, 2013 - 7:05 pm

Jennifer super easy and fun, I am not crafty and found this to be amazingly easy recommend reading the ribbon with a safety pin.

November 11, 2013 - 12:09 am

Lara Jo Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Jennifer! I’m glad it went well for you!

November 14, 2014 - 12:11 pm

ANDRENE HENRY Hi,
Is there anywhere that I can buy these garlands premade?

November 29, 2014 - 3:02 pm

Kristi gadawski These are STUNNING! I am a mother of three girls ages 16, 2 and 1… My youngest daughter is Autistic so it is difficult to have her staying focused on any holiday decorating. I am so thankful I found this site and your beautiful idea! Kennedy has been playing with the ornaments and helping us out while a huge smile! Kendall and Alexis are also enjoying every second of this. I read your post about missing the smell of a real tree! Just wanted to let you know that they now sell sticks that you can hang anywhere on an ornament hook that smells exactly like a real tree. We are obsessed! Happy holidays and thank you for helping us make such a special memory together!

November 29, 2014 - 3:05 pm

Kristi gadawski These are STUNNING! I am a mother of three girls ages 16, 2 and 1… My youngest daughter is Autistic so it is difficult to have her staying focused on any holiday decorating. I am so thankful I found this site and your beautiful idea! Kennedy has been playing with the ornaments and helping us out while having a huge smile on her face and the girls are all laughing and making their own! Kendall and Alexis are also enjoying every second of this. I will be keeping these and treasuring them forever! I read your post about missing the smell of a real tree! Just wanted to let you know that they now sell sticks that you can hang anywhere on an ornament hook that smells exactly like a real tree. We are obsessed! Happy holidays and thank you for helping us make such a special memory together!

November 29, 2014 - 9:21 pm

Lara Jo Kristi! Yours is one of the nicest e-mails I’ve ever received. I am SO GLAD that this project works well for your family and so glad that you guys are having a good time decorating — I still haven’t even started. Thanks for the tip about the real tree scent — I was just talking to my sister-in-law tonight about how almost no one in our family gets a real tree anymore and how much we miss the smell. I will have to check that out. Have a wonderful holiday season and thank you so much for taking the time to write me!!!

November 30, 2014 - 7:30 pm

Rita Yesterday, I finally found the 150 ornaments I bought last year right after Christmas to make this garland. I saw a brief DYI tip on TV last year about this garland, only it was strung on thin wire, which I am going to use now. I appreciate your tip to cut the ribbon in small lengths and will use that (tip) for the wire. I am so anxious to do this project! Thank you!

December 22, 2014 - 8:05 am

Amanda I’m so stopping tonight at the store and whipping up one of these for the holiday! It’s BEAUTIFUL!

January 3, 2015 - 12:48 pm

Lara Jo Hi, Amanda! Hope your project went well! If you wait until a week or so after Christmas you can pick up those huge packages of ornaments for 75% off. Also, check thrift stores for cheap ornaments! Happy New Year!

January 3, 2015 - 12:50 pm

Lara Jo Rita, funny you should say that, because I was reading back to last year’s post and saw that I had purchased some ornaments half price after Christmas and I have no idea where they are. Still haven’t found them! Glad you found yours…please come over and find mine now! Thanks for commenting. Hope your New Year is off to a wonderful start!

January 3, 2015 - 12:51 pm

Lara Jo Hi, Andrene! I haven’t ever seen them made pre-made, but they might be out there somewhere! Good luck!

October 2, 2015 - 2:54 pm

Edith Can you use yarn instead of ribbon

October 5, 2015 - 3:14 pm

Lara Jo Hi, Edith! Absolutely, you could use yarn — anything that you could string an ornament on, you could use. It doesn’t really show at all in the finished product. Thanks for reading!

November 17, 2015 - 7:17 pm

naomi satterwhite jus love this idea and no one does hardly anything with jus ornaments very lovely. thanks for the idea.

November 17, 2015 - 8:28 pm

Lara Jo Aw, thanks, Naomi! And thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful holiday season!

December 16, 2015 - 10:05 pm

Iris I have been looking for this kind of decoration for 2 weeks. I saw another one about a month ago, but when I had all the materials, I couldn’t find it. Yours is awesome, so I am going to do it. Thanks!

December 22, 2015 - 10:11 pm

Karen Fabulous idea — thanks for explaining. I’m going to start with Dollar Store ornaments and see what I can do. Merry Christmas!

December 2, 2012 - 12:02 pm

Inexpensive Christmas Decor | All My Loose Ends […] pretty-quirky.com via Jamie on Pinterest If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed! […]

December 4, 2014 - 5:01 am

HoliDIY Roundup! | a daily dose of Vitamin D […] Christmas Bulb Garland Aromatherapy Holiday Cards A┬áSimple Evergreen Bunting Stocking Party Favors Snow Globe Ornament Holiday Cocktail Stirrers […]