So ugly it’s cute.

lotus vase framed 2

I got this vase at a yard sale for $5. It’s big, about two feet tall, and heavy. I was simultaneously repulsed and attracted to it. The colors are kind of muddy, earth tones, pretty far away from my usual palette.The flower (lotus?) is wrapped around it in a kind of creepy way, like it’s strangling the neck or something! But maybe that’s just my active imagination.

lotus vase framed 3

I wish I could find out something about it. I mean, it looks old, but it kind of looks faux old, roughed up for effect. The bottom is stamped Terraline and I can’t find much info about it. I found something about a Terraline pottery studio in the late 1800s but nothing recent. I would be very surprised to find out it’s that old. It’s in pretty good shape for being over 100 years old!

I still can’t figure out why I was compelled to buy it. I have it kind of stuck in one of my glass-fronted shelves in the living room, where it looks out of place…I’d probably put it in the booth if I could figure out how to price it!

One more example of how I end up with so much CRAP.

November 19, 2009 - 10:02 am

janie hightower I hope I get to see this in person someday. Can you take a picture of it surrounded by other things so I can get an idea of its size?

November 17, 2012 - 2:43 pm

Luke Carter My parents have a similar vase with the same markings on the base, did you discover anything more?

November 17, 2012 - 5:56 pm

Lara Jo Hi, Luke. I didn’t ever find out anything about it, despite all my research. Very strange in the age of the Internet not to find anything! Good luck with your search.

October 20, 2014 - 7:28 pm

Samuel I have one with roses. It would be nice to find out some info.

January 3, 2015 - 1:09 pm

Lara Jo Samuel, I never did find out anything about this vase…sorry I can’t be of more use. I really like them, though!

January 15, 2015 - 4:33 pm

Leo The vase was made by the J.J. West Company of Chicago Illinois, circa 1884-85. It’s stamped with that in the Patent Dates on the base, along with the name, Terraline. We found an old advertisment for this stuff on the net. It appeares to be an earthenware body, molded, and then hand painted. It’s done in what I have heard called a Barbortine fashion, much like some of the Walley pots from about the same time.

January 25, 2015 - 2:18 pm

Lara Jo Leo, thanks SO MUCH for the information! I did sell it some time ago, but am grateful to hear a little bit about its heritage. Thanks for taking the time to inform me, I really appreciate it!